[Peace-discuss] Haiti elections postponed again

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 17:42:51 CST 2006

Following up on our discussion about Haiti...
-Ricky

3 January - Haiti's interim government confirmed
Sunday that general elections scheduled for January 8
would be postponed again, and did not immediately set
a new date for the vote. The government announcement,
in a statement, confirmed Friday's news from a member
of the electoral council that the vote, already pushed
back four times, would not be held on time.
Provisional Election Council (CEP) member Pierre
Richard Duchemin said Friday the polls would be have
to be rescheduled yet again. "None of the target
conditions have been achieved for the country to be
ready to hold the elections on January 8," Duchemin
told AFP, while stressing he did not speak officially
for the council. "We cannot ask people to go vote
without the conditions being met," he said. Sources
close to the electoral council and interim government
said a first round vote was now being considered for
February 7.(AFP)