[Peace-discuss] Truly scary stuff: Are we all helpless before King George?

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sun Jan 8 21:44:22 CST 2006

This may be the "signing" Carl mentioned this evening. The only
ambiguity seems to me to be whether this "signing" only pertains to
the particular Act, H.R. 3010.

President's Statement on H.R. 3010, the 'Department of Labor, Heath
and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
Appropriations Act, 2006'

Today, I have signed into law H.R. 3010, the "Departments of Labor,
Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
Appropriations Act, 2006." This Act appropriates funds for key
domestic programs, including programs to protect America's workers,
help educate America's youth, and guard Americans against potential
bioterrorism or epidemics.

The executive branch shall construe certain provisions of the Act
that purport to require congressional committee approval for the
execution of a law as calling solely for notification, as any other
construction would be inconsistent with the constitutional principles
enunciated by the Supreme Court of the United States in INS v.
Chadha. These provisions include sections 103, 208, and language
under the heading "Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation Fund."

The executive branch shall construe provisions in the Act that
purport to mandate or regulate submission of information to the
Congress in a manner consistent with the President's constitutional
authority to withhold information that could impair foreign
relations, national security, the deliberative processes of the
Executive, or the performance of the Executive's constitutional
duties. Such provisions include language under the heading
"Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Secretary,
General Departmental Management."

…