[Peace-discuss] AWARE Agenda, Jan. 22, 2006

bdolinar at uiuc.edu bdolinar at uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 22 14:50:25 CST 2006

Hello all.
I can't make it tonight, my in-laws are in town.

Last week, I spoke about our plans to form an anti-racist
working group.  This week, there is a court date for Officer
Myers, busted for tasing an inmate.  It is this Wednesday, Jan
25 at 11:30am, Courtroom A.  Unfortunately, I have to teach.
But for anyone who can make it, could you please come out to
make a show of public pressure.  Without public pressure, such
cases are not prosecuted - as the dropping of rape charges
against Officer Hjort of Urbana shows.

For others interested, Patrick Thompson's second trial also
starts the morning of Jan 25.

Also this week, there will be a talk about Katrina and its
aftermath by Marc Morial, former New Orleans Mayor, LA
Senator, and Urban League president.
It is Thursday at 7pm, Smith Music Hall, Mathews Ave.

Otherwise, have a good week.

Peace, BD

"I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the
violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first
spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the
world today - my own government."

-Martin Luther King, Jr.