[Peace-discuss] RE: The War on Dissent Gets Creepy

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 23 11:46:24 CST 2006

I don't think the moral requirement implied by the statement,
"Civil disobedience is about taking a moral stand AND paying
the consequences for your actions," really exists.  It sounds
like an anxious attempt to assert that the system that
contains an unjust law is itself just and must be supported.

On the contrary, unjust laws should be resisted -- prudently.
We once had a Fugitive Slave Law in this country.  Would it
have been appropriate -- even morally necessary -- to turn
oneself in and "pay the consequences for your actions" after
smuggling an escaped slave into Canada?  --CGE