[Peace-discuss] RE: The War on Dissent Gets Creepy

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 23 12:26:32 CST 2006

Hi Carl,

The law in question is spraypainting or vandalizing public property.  I
don't hold it equivalent to a fugitive slave law.  I checked out civil
disobedience in the Wikipedia, and the definition is "the active refusal to
obey certain laws, demands and commands of a government or of an occupying
power without resorting to physical violence"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_disobedience).  It's not illegal to
oppose the war, and I don't feel that by carrying a sign, he would have been
committing civil disobedience, because there would have been no opportunity
to be arrested.  Are the monthly actions on Main Street civil disobedience,
or are they protests?  I would make the argument that they are not civil
disobedience.  If you feel differently, I'll respect that.  I think it
weakens what others have done in the past, though.

I think that it was unclear from the article exactly what Mr. Ferner was
protesting, and your reply confirms it.  You refer to "an anxious attempt to
assert that the system that contains an unjust law is itself just and must
be supported."  I'm not anxious about it, but you imply that the unjust law
is the law against spraypainting on public property (point of disagreement),
when I thought that the injustice is the war in Iraq (point of agreement).
You see the problem, right?  The issue is no longer the war, it's
spraypainting on bridges.

Getting back to the fugitive slave law, of course if I were freeing slaves,
I'd avoid getting caught, so that I would have the freedom to continue
freeing slaves.  But if I were caught, I'd pay the consequences, and I'd
accept that.  Mr. Ferner went into his situation without an understanding of
civil disobedience or what he was doing.

--Phil