[Peace-discuss] RE: The War on Dissent Gets Creepy

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 23 13:38:35 CST 2006

Phil--

I think our disagreement is illustrated by your penultimate
sentence: "if I were caught [violating the Fugitive Slave
Law], I'd pay the consequences, and I'd accept that."  I infer
that you would "accept it" in the sense that you think you
would be morally obliged to do so, and I don't think you
would.  If you were caught smuggling Jews out of occupied
Europe during WWII, would you accept that you were morally
obliged to pay the consequences?  What's the difference?

Civil disobedience is a political tactic, and it has been
erroneously reinterpreted as a moral imperative.

The goal of someone who chooses CD is publicity.  S/he
publicly breaks a law in order to say to the community at
large that his/her punishment is unjust -- to say, "Look,
they're making me suffer for doing something I shouldn't be
punished for doing" (e.g., integrating a business).  Civil
disobedience in secret would be pointless; breaking an unjust
law in secret is a good idea.

Pace Wikipedia, all non-violent disobedience isn't CD: only
non-violent disobedience that seeks to make a political point.
And of course AWARE's monthly actions on Main Street are not
CD; they would be, if we blocked traffic -- or occupied a
congressman's office --  in order to protest the war.  There
are those in the anti-war movement like Cindy Sheehan who say
we should be doing exactly that.

Incidentally, we might think about the politics that make
spray-painting a wall a *felony*.  My guess is that
legislatures pass that sort of law in order to "fight gangs"
-- i.e., it's part of the suppression of lower-class groups
who use tagging as a form of public assertion.  It's something
like the arrest of of people distributing anti-war newspapers
during the Vietnam War on the charge of "littering"...

--CGE