[Peace-discuss] RE: Population control

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 10:09:32 CST 2006

Phil,

I'd appreciate it if you did not paint with such a
wide brush.  I did not, nor have I ever "lauded" the
practice of tree-spiking.  I merely seek to set the
record straight.  Much of what people believe happened
during the tree-spiking fad of the 90s never did.  It
was hype.  But we can't allow ourselves to believe
everything we read or hear, especially when the source
has a vested interest in fooling us.

There was an organized attempt during this period,
still going on   in a modified form, to drive a wedge
(as Tom says) between the American working class and
environmental activists:  "Workers are too dumb and
self-centered to see beyond their noses,"
"environmentalists are just eggheads who never worked
a day in their lives and care more about trees than
thier fellow human beings," etc.  It was cleverly
done, playing on differences that actually existed.
Most propaganda, even the most vicious lie, has at
least a kernel of truth if it is to be effective.

I'll respond to Tom's thoughts separately, but I
wanted you to know where I am coming from on this.
For the record, I do not condone tree-spiking.  Any
more than I condone hijacking a big airliner and
slamming it into a building full of people.  But I
still think it's important to tell the truth.

Hope you see what I mean-
Ricky

<20060124060016.49429.qmail at web81411.mail.mud.yahoo.com>