[Peace-discuss] Police Review Board before Urb. Cty Council TONIGHT!

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 18:51:42 CDT 2006

Brian and others:

The Coalition for Citizen Police Review has a meeting tentatively scheduled
for next Wednesday, July 19, 7:00 PM at the IDF to discuss organizing
strategy regarding the proposed Citizen Police Review Board.  I'll confirm
this with you as soon as I know definitively.

Meanwhile, if you'll follow the instructions so graciously provided to us
by Mark Enslin, you'll find on the City of Urbana's web site a copy of the
draft ordinance for an Urbana CPRB, put together by the task force that has
been meeting for the past 6 months or so.  You can download and print the
draft ordinance, which is a PDF file.  I encourage each of you to read it
and critique it.  You'll find that the draft ordinance does give the CPRB
subpoena power and the power to hire an independent investigator.  The only
real bone of contention seems to be the degree to which a representative of
the police will be involved with it, but there is no threat in any of the
alternative proposals that the police would ever have anything remotely
approaching a voting majority on the proposed CPRB.

Here, again, are Mark's directions to the document:  "The text of the
proposal can be downloaded at
http://www.city.urbana.il.us/urbana/  (click "city council" on the left,
"council agendas" on the right, and "agenda 7-10-06", item 15)"

As I said, as soon as I know definitely when we're meeting I'll send out
another e-mail to this group of addressees.  We'll also be trying to find
out what the City of Urbana's timeline is for consideration of the CPRB
proposal; the mayor and/or the city council may be waiting for conclusion
of the currently ongoing collective bargaining with the police.  In any
event, I hope and trust that we can count on your united and unwavering
support when the time is right.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

John Wason