[Peace-discuss] Out now

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 27 14:48:03 CDT 2006

What polls there are (e.g., leaked UK DOD last year) agree that well
over 80% of Iraqis want the US out.  Virtually any history of France in
WWII will show that the Germans and Vichy had more support than that
(e.g., perhaps the Catholic historian and Academician Rene Remond, The
Right Wing In France, recently in English but written a generation ago).
That's why so many collaborators were persecuted after 1945 (and so many
others -- including at least one later President of the Republic -- had
to work hard to cover up their collaboration).

And WWII France like Iraq was riven by ideological disputes become civil
war, which -- again like Iraq -- were encouraged by the occupier.  In
France the occupation was intertwined with an internal civil war, one
faction opposing the Communist and Republican elements of society, while
reactionary elements supported a fascist or Francoist regime -- a
continuation of a fracture that divided French society from the 19th
century or even the Revolution, roughly comparable to Sunni/Shia.

The French case is more typical than the Iraqi (i.e, the level of
opposition in Iraq is unusual): during the American Revolution, the
anti-British resistance had the support of only a third of the populace,
according to the revolutionaries themselves (viz. John Adams).