[Peace-discuss] Mel Gibson RIP

Tammy Watts tammyewatts at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 31 19:34:46 CDT 2006

I wasn't suggesting fear of being labeled an anti-Semite is the reason behind broad governmental policies, but rather this label is thrown around by proponents of those policies (for whatever reason) to bully the rest of us into silence.

  I don't need to re-hash the examples I already cited as to how this has been used to control Congress, restrict artistic license in entertainment and gag the media. It is ironic when Juan Cole (already under academic scrutiny for his position on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and U.S. foreign policy) joins the verbal lynch mob against Gibson by providing a litany of instances in the last 50 years where Israel wasn't involved.  Of course Jews aren't responsible for all the wars in the world--that's ludicrous--but he shouldn't discount Israel's interests in "regime change" in Iraq, either.  After the fall of Baghdad, one of the first things out of Colin Powell's mouth was "there's another enemy of Israel gone."

  The hypocrisy surrounding this issue is astounding.  Here we are as intellectuals wringing our collective hands over remarks made in a drunken rage.  The fact that Gibson was going 87 miles an hour (or thereabouts) in a 45 mph zone and that he could have killed innocent people doesn't even get a mention.  Discussing the dangers of alcohol abuse?  The fact that as one of the richest actors in Hollywood, our kids might look up to him doesn't faze anyone.

  Furthermore, Ann Coulter and others conduct far more offensive and bigoted rants against Arabs and Muslims every day as part of their careers and it's lauded as free speech.  At least Coulter was finally "let go," but after how many years of poisoning minds?

  Painting everyone of a particular ethnic group is wrong.  However, to think that the way Jewish organizations here in the U.S. have been rallying to Israel's defense, drowning out more progressive voices from that particular ethnic group, is not on the verge of creating a new wave of anti-Semitism is naive.

  I don't take offense when I see American flags being burned throughout the Middle East.  If I am the target of an attack by Arab/Muslim extremists, neither I nor my family will blame the perpetrators--we will blame the U.S. government who created the conditions for these groups to flourish.  I will not become hyper-sensitive and become defensive of myself as an American and cry foul that I was lumped in with all the other Americans.  Replace the word "Jew" in Gibson's rant with "American Christian" and I would honestly not be offended.  I would understand perfectly where he's coming from.

Ricky Baldwin <baldwinricky at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Well, I ought to point out that AWARE can't take TOO
much credit for "harmony in diversity", although I'm
glad we have that image :-)

I do think it is important to talk this out, because
there are some powerful cultural blinders at work in
our society.

For one thing, I am not aware of "government, media
and entertainment industry [being] are paralyzed by a
whisper of the 'anti-Semitic' label". If this means
that the story is reported, I'd say the problem is not
that this one is, but that other stories aren't. If
this means that Bush-Rice-etc. are aiding Israel
because they don't want to be labelled anti-Semitic
like Mel Gibson, then I'm sorry but this is nowhere
near the reason they do these things. The US
government, under Democrats and Republicans, has been
supporting Israel for decades for its own reasons
having to do with strategic interests in the region.

In some marginal way, American guilt over generations
of anti-Semitism here (including turning away Jewish
refugees fleeing the Nazis) may lead some American
people to support such a policy, but it is not the
reason for the policy. These are different things.

That said, what we also need to remember, I think, and
say, is that automatically blaming one person or a
group of people for what someone else does because
they happen to share a characteristic of birth or
religion or some other such thing is truly vile. It
is made especially so when such associations have
historically been the justification for murdering
people, as in the Holocaust, or in Palestine for the
past few decades.

The state of Israel is doing horrendous things to
civilians (and others) in Lebanon. The US government
is aiding and abetting these crimes. That's no excuse
for anti-Semitism - and I doubt it has anything to do
with any perceived rise in anti-Semitism among any
people who weren't already so inclined. Some of us
are furious, disgusted, beside ourselves with grief
and anger at what Israel is doing, but we don't blame
others not connected with that government who might be
Jewish. We do blame the supporters of those actions,
including Bush, Rice &Co. as well as any groups -
Jewish or not - who are cheerleading for this
insanity.

In fact, if this one rich actor did make these
remarks, it's despicable, but moreso in my opinion
because it is actually part of the twisted thinking
that allows Israel to do these things, part of the
very reason that some folks (besides the Bush Admin)
in the US may be supporting these horrors, and
actually part of how Hezbollah is able to justify its
own attacks on civilians (though much less successful
than Israel) to its supporters. It is not WHY they do
these things, but it certainly helps ALLOW them to do
them.

Racism and jingoism make people see one another as
members of a race or national group like limbs of a
body. It's called "collective guilt" and Israel has
used it for decades to justify its activities in Gaza
and the West Bank. (It wasn't the real reason, of
course, but it served well as cover.)

Unfortunately it doesn't go without saying. If I
support the Israeli government or the British
government or the German government, etc. specifically
because I belong to the same ethnic group as its
leaders, that's racism propping up these vicious
governments, allowing these crimes to occur. It
prevents a kind of broader human solidarity that can
sometimes lead to change, small changes or sometimes
big changes.

We hear that this identification with others of one's
ethnicity or religion or nationality is "human
nature", that it's "natural" or just "the way it is",
but everyone doesn't do it. In fact, in my limited
experience, a lot of people don't. Again,
unfortunately, this doesn't go without saying. Many
Jews do not support Israeli crimes, but a lot do.
Many Middle Eastern people do not support Hezbollah,
but a lot do. Many Americans do not support Bush, but
a lot do. Many Germans did not support Hitler, but a
lot did. Racism, jingoism and the like are powerful,
but not all-powerful.

Or if I support attacking someone because they belong
to the same (or similar?) ethnic group as someone who
attacked someone in my group (like those in the US who
support the invasion of Iraq because Iraqis and
al-Qaeda are "all the same" to them, or support
Israeli attacks on Lebanon because of the same reason,
and because "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"),
that's substantially the same thing.

And if Mel Gibson, or whoever else, can't tell the
difference between a government official in Israel
involved in planning the ongoing war crimes and an
ordinary person on the street who may belong (somewhat
randomly) to the same ethnic group, then he is not
only a bigotted idiot, he is the same kind of bigotted
idiot as a Jewish American who supports Israel because
it is a Jewish state, or who supports Hezbollah
because they are killing Israelis, etc.

By the way, I doubt this will be Gibson's end, but we
shall see. I don't have my crystal ball working.
Behind on the payments, you know.

Ricky

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=398182&in_page_id=1773