[Peace-discuss] Re: Peace-discuss Digest, Vol 29, Issue 24

Dan Schreiber dan at sourcegear.com
Wed Jun 21 12:37:03 CDT 2006

So as long as we avoid loading people into boxcars to be gassed, any
comparison to Nazis is invalid?  Invading other countries under false
premises, torturing people, spying on our own citizens, kidnapping people
and keeping them locked up forever without a trial are all fine, as long as
we don't use boxcars to gas people.

I'm exaggerating of course - we obviously still have (a lot) more restraint
than the Nazis did.  But great evil doesn't start out that way.  It starts
out as rationalization or necessary evil and grows as power grows and as
accountability is kept away.  Too many people are working to make sure there
is more power and less accountability for rationalizations in the so-called
war on terror.

I would never have thought that torture would become rationalized as a valid
interrogation technique by so many Americans.  How many steps are there
between acceptance of torture and rounding up people to be gassed?  They are
not the same, but they are on the same slope.

We are sliding downhill, and pointing out that there are Nazis at the bottom
of this hill is not a hysterical thing to say.  The question for you is:
Are you helping to stop the slide, or piling more weight on the sled, or
simply standing on the sideline throwing rocks at people?

Dan