[Peace-discuss] RE:Supporting the troops? Who's responsible?

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 11:59:55 CST 2006

At 11:28 AM 3/4/2006, Phil Stinard wrote:

>Hi Carl,
>
>Thank you for your insightful comments.  I did hear Bush's comments about
>combatting Islamic extremists and was wondering how he defines "Islamic
>extremists."  I don't know whether he believes what he's saying, or
>whether he thinks he can garner support from whoever's support is needed
>to continue the war.  If you have any more insights on those questions,
>feel free to expound.
>
>My disagreement with Soderstrom's article is that he was painting
>Christian fundamentalists as supporting a religious crusade.  Here's an
>example from the article:  "In order to justify such behavior, Americans
>(especially fundamentalist Christians) have found it increasingly necessary to
>con themselves into believing that our children are, for whatever reason,
>more precious than that of our enemy's children...."  Thinking over the
>five Christians who are closest to me and whose opinions matter deeply to
>me, not one of them supports what Bush is doing or believes that he is
>doing God's will, nor do they believe that one human life is more precious
>than another.  I'm really tired of people pigeonholing me and telling me
>what I believe.
>Such carelessness is probably one reason why progressive groups don't
>receive more support than they do from Christian fundamentalists.  (I'm
>defining a Christian fundamentalist as someone who believes that the Bible
>is the inspired word of God and who shares core beliefs about man's
>nature, sin, salvation, repentance, etc.  In NO WAY can that be construed
>as supporting a so-called holy war.)

Words, no matter how well chosen, ultimately fail to convey the totality of
reality.  I too call myself a "fundamentalist Christian", Phil, and feel
essentially as you and your five Christian friends do.  But surely you
recognize that there is a sizeable number of people who also self-identify
as "fundamentalist Christians" and who wholeheartedly support Bush's war
and feel that he is somehow doing the will of God?  It's a pity that we get
lumped in with them, but you can hardly blame people who know little of
true Biblical Christianity for having a tendency to throw the baby out with
the bath water.  You and I did it ourselves, did we not, before we "saw the
light"?

John Wason