[Peace-discuss] now is different; all they have to do is ask and we'll leave

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sun Mar 12 00:05:38 CST 2006

I can't make much sense of these two remarks.

1) Iraqis have been walking around with weapons since the U.S.
aggression began. What do they think the resistance/insurgents were
all about? Now, it may be worse only because of the militias spawned
as a result of U.S. actions there, some no doubt financed and/or
supplied by the U.S.. No one knows what will happen if the U.S.
leaves---which I doubt it will do willingly--but since the United
States forces are the cause of the chaos there, I  do not believe
that it will get worse if they leave. The United States has an
interest in a weak and fragmented Iraq, a divide and control
strategy, despite the hypocrisy of its pronouncements. Can anyone
who's been paying attention seriously believe anything that comes out
of U.S. pronouncements?

2) This is extremely naive; the polls show that indeed the Iraqis in
their generality want the U.S. occupation ended. Only the Kurds would
like to see them stay. Even the so called sovereign government, set
up under the U.S. boot, has indicated that the U.S. should leave. The
U.S. doesn't give a damn about what the Iraqis think on this
question, and has widely rejected international laws, Geneva
conventions, etc. . We came to Iraq with intentions to control the
area and all it effects internationally; we're not likely to
relinquish those levers of control.

Mort