[Peace-discuss] AWARE's other mention yesterday in the Daily Illini

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 10:25:24 CST 2006

I like this particular comment:

"Barnes explained that bringing more business to Urbana and public
safety were issues that she believes are important for the council to
deal with."

Mort - did they correctly quote your Nazi comparison.
Given the recent story about a teacher busted in Colorado for saying the
same thing, its a dangerous comment.  I'm not denying its an apt comparison
but...

BD

On 3/16/06, Durl Kruse <jandurl at insightbb.com> wrote:

> The page 4 rant by Mr. Bambenek found March 15  in the Daily Illini  on
> the opinions  page was not the only AWARE mention.  Read below a more
> accurate take on what AWARE is doing these days.  There is a big
> difference between the News section writers and the staff Opinions when
> it comes to the DI!
>
> Close vote in Urbana Council calls for end to Iraq occupation
> Anti-war movement claims war effects economy negatively
>
> By: By Jonathan Jacobson
> Issue date: 3/15/06 Section: News
> Print
> Email
> Article Tools
>                 Page 1 of 1
>
> The Urbana City Council supported a resolution Monday night that calls
> for an immediate end to the U.S. military occupation of Iraq.
>
> In a narrow 4-3 decision, aldermen voted to back the resolution, which
> will require a final vote next Monday.
>
> Nearly 50 people packed the council's chambers, patiently waiting the
> two hours before the council began deliberations about the resolution.
>
> "We urge you to represent the grassroots sentiments of our community,"
> said Gary Storm.
>
> Storm is a member of the group Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort, also known
> as AWARE, which encouraged many of its members to attend the meeting.
>
> Some members of the city council, including Lynne Barnes (Ward 7), did
> not believe it was the council's place to pass resolutions about issues
> outside of their jurisdiction.
>
> Heather Stevenson (Ward 6) and Robert Lewis (Ward 4) also opposed the
> resolution.
>
> "My opinion has stayed pretty firm," Barnes said. "I feel it's
> advisable not to discuss these issues. My job description is to drive
> and direct matters in town."
>
> Barnes explained that bringing more business to Urbana and public
> safety were issues that she believes are important for the council to
> deal with.
>
> Community members in attendance did not agree.
>
> "If it's pointless for the city council to voice their opinion, then
> it's pointless for me to voice mine," said Bob Nainan, a member of
> AWARE.
>
> Nainan's views were supported by members of the council like Charlie
> Smyth (Ward 1).
>
> "The council has a long history of supporting national and state
> issues," Smyth said.
>
> The council passed a resolution before the war in Iraq condemning the
> military action. In 1971, Urbana passed a similar resolution denouncing
> the war in Vietnam.
>
> "It represents the wishes of the community," Smyth said of Monday's
> resolution. "If anything, tonight's motion is an 'I told you so.'"
>
> Mort Brussel, a representative of AWARE, spoke to the council about the
> economic and social impact of the Iraq war on Urbana.
>
> "Our priorities for a healthy society are distorted," Brussel said.
> "The bulk of the population suffers economically, socially and
> [...]

Brian Dolinar, Ph.D.
204 S. Lynn St.
Champaign, IL 61820
briandolinar at gmail.com