[Peace-discuss] leaders when they are wrong

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 16:05:49 CST 2006

At 03:25 PM 3/21/2006, Karen Medina wrote:

> > Schieffer: you played down the insurgency 10 months ago. You said it
> > was in its last throes.
>
> > Cheney: "the statements we've made, which I think were basically
> > accurate and reflect reality..."
>
>Because confronting them with their contradictions doesn't seem to be
>working...
>
>Cheney and Bush will never say they are/were wrong, just as Saddam
>Hussein will never say that he did anything wrong. I think that even to
>their last breaths will they hold to their beliefs that they were right, like
>Milosevic, they believe they are heroes. They have been lieing to
>themselves from day one.

Likewise, Hermann Goerring (spelling?) went to his death after the
Nuremburg Trials convinced that he had done the right thing.  During his
trial he was smug, even when confronted with overwhelming evidence of Nazi
brutality.  To these people, the end justifies ANY means.  And they're
convinced that their ends are pure.

>What I don't get is how human beings stop lieing to themselves? I mean,
>sure, as human beings we all tell ourselves little lies, but most of us later
>come to realize that we were wrong and at least admit it to ourselves.

Do we?  I can think of many counter-examples from my own life
experience.  Of course, the stuff we do, and lie to ourselves about,
doesn't impact as many lives as the actions of government leaders.

>But how do we get to that point of honest personal reflection?
>
>Then how do we get our leaders to do this and stop their madness?

These are excellent questions.  These are questions for the ages.  I have
Biblical answers if anyone wants to hear them.  Otherwise I got nothin'.  :-)

John Wason