[Peace-discuss] Letters to Editor & Publisher concerning Colbert's speech

Chuck Minne mincam2 at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 20:30:51 CDT 2006

from: http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002425553

MONDAY'S LETTERS: Everyone Has an Opinion on Colbert's Speech

By E&P Staff

Published: May 01, 2006 11:30 AM ET

  NEW YORK E&P's article on Stephen Colbert's speech at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner was one of our most read articles ever, touching a nerve with people on all sides of the political spectrum. E&P's opinionated readers sent over a hundred responses to the article, many of which we will attemp to include in this week's letters pages. Here is our first edition.

***

The Colbert Retort

I have never witnessed anyone in the media ever punctuate the facts about the current administration,
legislature, and judiciary inadequacies more poignantly. It's too bad it takes a comedy show host to do what the media can't. I doubt you'll hear anyone on Monday crying about the "liberal media" because Cobert made the media look like they are on Bush's payroll.

Dan Howell

It was very obvious that the President, and most of the media at the event, are just mad at Colbert because he is more popular than they are.

Andrew Moyer
Atlanta, GA

Congratulations to E&P for the coverage of the Colbert
performance in Washington. I have been longing for a no holds barred attack from some quarter that was founded on truth, that would catch Bush in its blinding headlights.

What it taught the press corps was a lesson long in coming, that if it doesn't do its job, somebody will, and that example will shame them. Colbert's example did just that last Saturday night. But the press is silent about this one this morning in this neck of the woods, under orders or sick with embarrassment and shame that it has left its undone work to be picked up by a brave comedian.

I might add that in general, I have recently seen an improvement in the diligence of the press over the daily high crimes and misdemeanors of this administration and do not want to discourage it by failing to recognize it. Please however try harder; this country, not to speak
of the entire planet, is on the clock of borrowed time.

John Dinwiddie
Santa Rosa, CA

I watched the whole show and I was deeply offended for my country, the President and the military. Stephen Colbert proved beyond a doubt that liberals are worthless human beings, a danger to all of our freedom and lack any sense of decency. Their contributions and value to the country are nil.

Tom Wegmann
Seattle, Wash.

Great article. As far as Colbert's lampoon, he was right in doing what he did--and doing it in front of the whole world.

Bush should be run out of town for what he has done to this country and especially the misuse of our military and their families. We tire of him hiding behind the few soldiers continuing to support him. I also blame the corporate owned media for their part in cheerleading this country, ill prepared, into a war of choice.

I wonder which one of Bush's children he would sacrifice for this war. After all, he expected me to willingly sacrifice my son. He expects Cindy Sheehan to be pleased sacrificing her son's life for lies. Most military families (the educated ones, anyway) found no humor when Bush at a previous press dinner pretended to look for WMD in the Oval office. Not a drop of class in his supposed blue blood...

Teresa Dawson
Coordinator
Military Families Speak Out
Central Ohio Chapter

The problem with Colbert's bit at last night's dinner wasn't that it was "edgy," or "truth-y" or anything else
 it just wasn't funny. Bush tolerated it as well as anyone in the room, but the truth is, no one thought it was funny. It was like Don Imus' appearance at the same event ten years ago when Clinton was in office. The jokes sounded like they were written by a 4th rate hack with a bottle of whisky as inspiration. Truly painful to watch.

Will Cate
Nashville, Tenn.

The D.C. media is so into themselves that they don't understand the rest of the country. President Bush should just not show up next year. Send that double.

Clare Merritt
Northridge, Calif.

I totally applaud Colbert for his "comedy talk". In a gathered, gala event, it would have been a mistake not to nail the atrocious conditions to which this president and his administration have unshamefully brought our country, our reputation, and the Iraqis. I was cheering. This had to be done because Bush's miserable policies have to stop and he must go. It's no joke and I'm glad he and Laura weren't smiling.

I also applaud C-span and the WH Correspondents Assn. for letting things roll.

Susan James

As a relatively new (on-line) reader, it seems to me E&P is doing a fantastic job--in ways outshining the Washington Post and New York Times and becoming its own "paper" of record. Thank you.

Jane Birnbaum

I feel that Colbert was right on with his remarks. He did not mislead anyone here. His remarks were very honest and true. The only people to get upset over this is the ones who are trying to protect the lies in this country. I am so sorry that the press and Bush can not stand the truth.

Pamela Moubray

Another possibility (and a boring one)... maybe Colbert simply wasn't very funny? His timing was way off (perhaps nervous), and that last skit was a clock-watcher. Did you notice the applause completely stopped by the time he'd reached his seat? Did you notice the audience reaction during his speech? Crickets (mostly).

I'm a big fan of his, and was deeply disappointed.

Glenn Smoak

Good for Steve Colbert. He said what needed to be said to the President and the Press. I watched it, I was surprised. I was glad he had the courage that many in the press don't have!

Vernon Bush
Panama City, Fla.

Is there any group of people more parochial, pompous and self-regarding than journalists, relative to your meager abilities?

Brian Sament

More like Bush (or anyone else for that matter) were not entertained ... Colbert BOMBED BIG TIME! There were plenty of people in that room ready for a big belly laugh at Bush's expense ... but Colbert came up lame.

Bush's double was far more entertaining that the so called "professional" comedian's act.

Most knowledgeable TV viewers know that most of Comedy Centrals line up is a bunch of third rate wannabe comedian ... even you at E&P should understand that much.

Stewart is a big hack as was proven on the recent Academy Awards show ... his hosting performance was rated a flop by many if not a majority of the TV writers. especially those who are not frimly lodged up the ass of the networks.

You may have trouble seeing this clearly but try taking a closer and less biased look next time.

R. Miller

I think that Pres. Bush showed a lot of class and good humor at the recent Correspondents Dinner. He joked with the crowd and had some good fun. But some of the media, on the other hand, were as mean-spirited as usual. Oh well, so much for the civility and maturity of the media. We the public should have expected as much. The media once again showed their true colors that evening -- vindictive, vicious and childish.

Patrick Curry
Irvine, Calif.

Thank you for your informative report on Steve Colbert's routine at White House Correspondents Dinner Saturday night .

In one paragraph, though, you comment that Colbert's comments might have been a bit rough and harder on the president than is traditional (my words, not yours), but I recall vividly when Don Imus, as the guest speaker at a similar event, was especially cruel to President and Mrs. Clinton -- and Imus wasn't even funny, just cruel. I blanched at some of the things Imus said that evening; they were inappropriate and meant to hurt.

I think one of the problems for Bush is that he is so accustomed to being slobbered over that he may never have heard the truth about himself. And, after all, what did Stephen Colbert say that wasn't based on reality? When telling a president the truth offends the White House press corps, we are is serious trouble.

Lois Erwin

Today (Sunday) I read all of your coverage of the W.H. Correspondents' Dinner. I got quite a few good laughs. Then I read the New York Times article about the administration moving toward prosecuting reporters under the Espionage Act.

Whatever glow of mirth I had was quickly extinguished and replaced by a cold spasm of astonishment.

I wonder what those "correspondents" thought this morning after reading that article through a hangover haze after slamming all those highballs last night in order to chuckle at Bush's skit.

He's declared war on freedom of the press and they've had him over for a party? Anyway, thanks for your good work. Keep going.

Bill Allen

It seems that Colbert was telling the truth to the country's worst
and most dangerous president. Nevertheless, it was not polite to
offend a guest, no matter what he is or isn't. My point is, that this
annual dinner roast should be postponed perhaps forever. George W.
Bush, the human being, should be granted what little mercy we show
each other.

President Bush, however, should be simply impeached. And
the Washington press corps for the most part, should have their butts
whipped for not doing their job.

Mort Young

GEORGE W. BUSH - MAKING TERRORISTS FASTER THAN HE CAN KILL THEM!

IF YOU SUPPORT BUSH'S WAR, WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE??

IF YOU'RE NOT OUTRAGED, YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!