[Peace-discuss] Voices of Peace

Dan Schreiber dan at sourcegear.com
Wed May 3 09:27:22 CDT 2006

This Thursday, May 4, at 7:00 p.m. we will be presenting "Voices of Peace:
Reclaiming the Christian Tradition" at Community United Church of Christ on
the corner of Sixth and Daniel.  This presentation will include dramatic
readings that cut across the Christian tradition-from Wangari Maathai to
Oscar Romero to William Sloane Coffin.  We will include an animated
editorial done to a recording of Jackson Browne's "Lives in the Balance."

The dramatic presentations begin with Julia Ward Howe campaigning for "A
Mother's Day for Peace"-the roots of our present Mother's Day.

Following the presentation we will be putting together care packages to send
to troops in Iraq.  Those care packages will include conscientious objector
material as we have heard that the GI Rights hotlines have been flood and a
number of troops are looking for information as to how they might object
with courage to a war that has lost moral resonance for them.

Sponsors include: Community United Church of Christ, First Mennonite Church,
McKinley Presbyterian Church, Friends Meeting, East Bend Mennonite Peace &
Social Concerns Committee, Channing Murray Foundation, Illinois Disciples
Foundation, Unitarian Universalist Church, CU-Interfaith Alliance, St. Jude
Catholic Worker House, University YMCA, St. Patrick's Social Action
Committee