[Peace-discuss] Fw: [Aware] Activism through theatre -- "Embedded" tickets at adiscount for Peace Groups!

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Tue May 9 13:54:02 CDT 2006

FYI, theater enthusiasts, this just arrived at our advertised aware at anti-war.net
address...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Whit Spurgeon" <whitspur at sbcglobal.net>
To: <aware at anti-war.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 1:42 PM
Subject: [Aware] Activism through theatre -- "Embedded" tickets at adiscount for
Peace Groups!

Dear Aware Members,

My name is Whit Spurgeon, and I’m an Artistic Associate at Prop Thtr in Chicago.

Our latest show, “Embedded” by Tim Robbins, is a scathing tragicomic look at the
phenomenon of embedded journalism and the misguided war policies of the
neo-conservatives in the Bush administration.  It’s exactly the sort of play
peace activists would enjoy, and that’s why I’m writing to you today.

Those of us who have worked on “Embedded,” the director, actors and technicians,
truly believe in Robbins’ message, and think this is an ideal opportunity to use
the power of theatre for a social cause.  So we’ve decided to make it a little
less expensive for our peace-loving brethren to attend!

We will gladly provide a group discount of 25% to “Embedded” to groups of 4 or
more from any peace organizations in the Chicago area.  You can look at that as
a Buy 3, Get 1 free deal, or that instead of the regular $20 price for tickets,
each person will pay only $15!  If you buy 10 tickets, that’s $150.00 instead of
$200.00!

“Embedded” runs Fridays and Saturdays at 10:30 p.m. and Sundays at 7 p.m. at
Prop Thtr, 3502-04 N. Elston.  You can grab dinner at many of the local
restaurants before the show, including Chief O’Neill’s just across the street.

To reserve these discounted tickets, you must call the Prop Thtr box office
directly at 773-539-7838, and mention our “Peace Package” when ordering for
groups of 4 or larger.  There is a link on the Prop Thtr website to order
tickets from TicketWeb, but these are not available at the discounted rate.

For further information on “Embedded,” and links to the terrific reviews in the
Sun-Times and the Tribune as well as other newspapers, visit www.propthtr.org on
the internet, and click on the “Embedded” link.

I’ve also included some nice quotes from the press about the show below.

Thanks, and we hope to hear from you.

Whit Spurgeon
Artistic Associate
Prop Thtr
For Discounted Tickets Call:  773-539-7838

EMBEDDED PRESS QUOTES

“ ‘Embedded’,  a smart, biting send up of Iraq war.”

“…contains the smartest and most blistering insights into the Bush / Cheney
administration this side of The Daily Show.’

“Robbins is great at afflicting the comfortable.”

“…tight staging and charismatic cast capture the best of Robbins’ play.”

            Chicago Tribune

“ ‘Embedded’ crackles with fresh anti-war zest.”

“…while the already converted will not be disappointed, there is enough in this
show that gets beyond political slogans and snaps, crackles, and pops with
considerable freshness.”

“…the most searing indictments in Embedded have to do with the press…”

            Chicago Sun – Times

“People who oppose the war in Iraq will love “Embedded.’ ”

“…there’s the conservative cabal that conducts the war, a masked sextet
representing Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, Rove, Wolfowitz, and Pearle. The scenes
involving them make for some of the play’s most outrageous and chilling
 moments.”

            The Daily Herald

“Robbins is to be commended for hustling out a play that condemns the war in
iraq while honoring the troops fighting it (especially at a time when it was
sacronistic to criticize President Bush.)”

“…the 11-member cast all give rip-roaring performances…”

            Windy City Times

“…sharply acted, energetically staged…”

            The Reader