[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Big Win for Internet Freedom

Chuck Minne mincam2 at yahoo.com
Fri May 26 12:01:00 CDT 2006

"Josh Silver, FreePress.net" <list at freepress.net> wrote:  Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:37:30 GMT
From: "Josh Silver, FreePress.net" <list at freepress.net>
To: "Chuck Minne" <mincam2 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Big Win for Internet Freedom

    BODY, P, TD, TD P, TD UL, TD BLOCKQUOTE, BLOCKQUOTE {      color: black;      font-family: Verdana, "Trebuchet MS" , sans-serif;      font-size: 10pt  }  A:link { color: #003366 }  A:visited { color: #003366 }  A:active { color: #0000FF }    .bodybold {  font-weight: bold} /* this is for making body text bold */  .bodybold10px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 10px} /* this is for making body text bold at 10px */  .bodybold11px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 11px} /* this is for making body text bold at 11px */  .bodybold12px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 12px} /* this is for making body text bold at 12px */  .bodybold13px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 13px}  .bodybold14px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 14px}  .bodybold15px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px}  .body8px {  font-size: 8px} /* this is for making body text smaller */  .body9px {  font-size: 9px} /* this is for making body text smaller */  .body10px {  font-size: 10px} /* this is for making body
 text smaller */  .body11px {  font-size: 11px} /* this is for making body text smaller *  .body12px {  font-size: 12px} /* this is for making body text smaller */  .body14px {  font-size: 14px} /* this is for making body text smaller */  .body16px {  font-size: 16px} /* this is for making body text smaller */  .body18px {  font-size: 18px} /* this is for making body text smaller */  .bodyunderline {  text-decoration: underline}  .bodyitalic {  font-style: italic}  .none {list-style-type: none}  .titleitalic {  font-weight: bold; font-style: italic}  .titlebold {  font-weight: bold} /* this is for making title text bold */  .titlebold10px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 10px}  .titlebold11px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 11px}  .titlebold12px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 12px}  .titlebold13px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 13px}  .titlebold14px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 14px}  .titlebold15px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px}  .titlebold16px {
 font-weight: bold; font-size: 16px}  .titlebold17px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 17px}  .titlebold18px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 18px}  .titlebold19px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 19px}  .titlebold20px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 20px}  .titlebold21px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 21px}  .titlebold22px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 22px}  .titlebold23px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 23px}  .titlebold24px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 24px}  .titlebold25px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 25px}  .titlebold26px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 26px}  .titlebold27px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 27px}  .titlebold28px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 28px}  .titlebold29px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 29px}  .titlebold30px {  font-weight: bold; font-size: 30px}  .flashtitle { font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif; font-size: 18px} /* Used for Advocacy Campaign titles */  .monospace { font-family: Courier, monospace;}/*
 monospace fonts for input forms */  .roll   { text-decoration: none; font-weight: normal; color: black }/* rolling links */  a.roll:hover { text-decoration: none; font-weight: normal; color: D10000 }                                 Dear Chuck,

  Thanks to your thousands of calls and letters, we took a major step forward this week in the fight for Internet freedom.    A bipartisan majority on the House Judiciary Committee yesterday passed the "Internet Freedom and Nondiscrimination Act" -- a good bill that would use antitrust law to protect Network Neutrality. Special thanks to those of you who called the key members who cast the deciding votes.    The question before us is simple: Will the Internet remain in the hands of users and innovators? Or will a handful of telephone and cable companies determine which Web sites you see and which you don't? Yesterday's vote -- a milestone for our movement -- would have been unthinkable just three weeks ago. But we've shown once again that organized people can defeat powerful corporations.    Our opponents spent untold millions on high-priced lobbyists, slick ad campaigns and fake grassroots groups. But the voices of hundreds of thousands of citizens -- your voices -- made
 the difference.    The SavetheInternet.com Coalition led by Free Press now boasts nearly 700 groups that span the political spectrum, including MoveOn.org, the Christian Coalition, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), Gun Owners of America, Consumers Union, and the American Library Association. Thousands of blogs have taken up our cause. Yesterday, the coalition's petition drive surpassed 750,000 signatures.    Our top priority is increasing the number of people who know about this threat to Internet freedom.    One thing you can do right now: Get five friends to join the fight    The struggle in Congress isn't over. The full House will take up the bipartisan Judiciary bill (H.R. 5417) -- as well as the massive rewrite of the Telecom Act -- after they return in June. The Senate is also considering major legislation that currently fails to protect Net Neutrality, though a bipartisan group of Senators are lining up behind the excellent Snowe-Dorgan bill (S.
 2917).    Our work is not done. But momentum is on our side.    We couldn't have done it without you.    Onward,    Josh Silver
Executive Director
Free Press
www.freepress.net    You can do more:    1. If you haven't done so already, sign the SavetheInternet.com petition and send a message to Congress.   2. Check out the latest news on the SavetheInternet.com blog.    3. Learn the facts. Read our new report: Why Consumers Demand Internet Freedom.
    Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
 Tell-a-friend!   If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for Free Press.
  This message was sent to mincam2 at yahoo.com. Visit your subscription management page to modify your email communication preferences or update your personal profile. To stop receiving E-Activist Network, click to unsubscribe. To stop ALL email from Free Press, click to remove yourself from our lists (or reply via email with "remove" in the subject line).

     You (mincam2 at yahoo.com) are receiving this as a Free Press E-Activist. To stop receiving these messages, click here.

Current Terror Alert Level

GEORGE W. BUSH - MAKING TERRORISTS FASTER THAN HE CAN KILL THEM!