[Peace-discuss] Letter to Editor

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Wed May 31 08:51:10 CDT 2006

If Mr. Seiter thinks it was morally outrageous to say "No slave that
ever lived was worth the life of one American soldier," then he is
misguided to lionize President Lincoln, who in 1861 was essentially
saying that, struggling as he was to convince potential draftees in
the North that fighting a war to end slavery was the last thing on his
mind.

The key thing, though, it seems to me, is that the goal of war
supporters in framing the argument this way ("is it worth it?") is to
get people to accept without question the assumption behind the
argument: that the goal and the effect of US policy is to "liberate"
Iraqis. If the goal and the effect is not to liberate Iraqis -- which,
as we all know, it isn't -- then the argument is irrelevant. The
priority, then, is to attack that assumption... If the lives (not to
mention opinions) of Iraqis are worth something, then we should Get
Out Now.

Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy
www.justforeignpolicy.org