[Peace-discuss] Letter to Editor

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 09:18:14 CDT 2006

A comment by labor historian David Montgomery, perhaps
apropos:

The global perspective can be extremely useful to
researchers and teachers of US labor history. It might
be most useful, in introducing this question, to
break the subject down into some of its constituent
parts.

1. Slavery and racism. Industrialization and the
formation of a working class and a workers movement in
the US took place in a country dominated by chattel
slavery. As late as the 1850s there were more
African-American slaves over the age of 10 in the US
than there were free wage earners. In fact it was
during
that decade that the balance tipped in favor of wage
earners. Slavery left its mark on all working-class
life and movements (just reread the classic Sidney
Mintz, Sweetness and Power: The Place of Sugar in
Modern History (New York, 1985) for starters) , but
for Europeans the slaves were overseas. North
American slavery evolved through a variety of forms in
ways that directly shaped the activities,
possibilities, and thinking of free workers in the US.
See Alexander Saxton, Rise and Fall of the White
Republic: Class Politics and Mass Culture in
Nineteenth-Century America (1990) and David Roediger,
Wages of Whiteness: Race and the Making of the
American Working Class (1991).

To provide students with some historical perspective
on the "global economy" and working people's struggles
(slave, waged, and indigenous) they should be directed
to a study of the Atlantic world in the 17th and 18th
centuries, which is bound to hold the attention of any
reader: Peter Linebaugh and Marcus
Rediker, The Many-Headed Hydra: Sailors, Slaves,
Comoners, and the Hidden History of the Revolutionary
Atlantic (Boston, 2000). Before I leave that subject,
let me add that I have long directed my students
also toward the splendid comparison of two
contemporaneous systems of bondage that had much in
common, as well as crucial differences, and both of
which left legacies that shaped national labor
movements,  Peter Kolchin, Unfree Labor: American
Slavery and Russian Serfdom (1985)