[Peace-discuss] "for the record"

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 1 17:05:59 CST 2006

"And for the record, as an officer, I wouldn't put up with any of
my men raping a woman", notes Mr Bambenek.

This is a rather revealing statement, illustrating the class system
as seen by the military. This isn't just a manner of speaking, it is
pure social Darwinism. If you haven't been in the military, you might
miss the patronizing "my men". Officers are encouraged to see enlisted
men as cannon fodder, and therefore encouraged not to get close to
them and to treat them as practically a different and inferior species.

I would not have believed just how deadly serious this class system is
had I not been in the military. Many officers accept it unthinkingly,
as many folks have traditionally accepted a similar view called racism.

In the larger world, the cast system grows. Bush and his crew consider
that they are the highest cast of all. To them, all "lesser" beings are
canon fodder, including Mr. Bambeneck, and they therefore feel no
remorse at their deaths.

The most serious cases of sexual misconduct occur not among the
enlisted, but among officers and other officials, directed at people
they consider inferior. What can put a stop to this? Certainly not
other officers or officials. A clue: consider the phrase "we the people"
and read the First Amendment closely. And be sure to vote next Tuesday.

Bob