[Peace-discuss] Two Comments on Susan Nathan talk and book

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 12:35:21 CST 2006

2b. Re: on the excellent Susan Nathan talk in Chicago
Posted by: "steve kowit" skowit at aabol.com

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:10 pm (PST)

I want to second Neal's suggestion about Susan
Nathan's The Other Side of Israel. If you want to
know, from the inside, how Israel's laws, even when
they have no explicitly "racist" language, are
explicitly designed to make life intolerable for
Palestinian citizens of Israel (we're not talking
about the refugees, but Palestinian- Israeli
citizens), this is the book. It is also a fine, human,
personable, warm book of a Jewish woman's life in an
entirely Palestinian town (in which community she was
immediately accepted as a trusted neighbor & friend.)
No other book I know gives the reader the kind of
insight she gives into the real racist underpinnings
of Israeli society and Israeli law & the extraordinary
level of denial (& ignorance) of the well-meaning
Israeli left-progressives, those liberal colonialists
who imagine themselves filled with dreams of equality
& social justice --or rather, what they imagine would
be "social justice" while maintaining their utter
privilege & power in an Apartheid culture. It's a
terrifically good read & an important study of a
thoroughly racist society that few Israeli Jews, let
alone American Zionists, have any understanding of!
Please read it!! ....Steve