[Peace-discuss] Street on Obama on the war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 21 11:30:30 CST 2006

Look what Obama actually says, not how his charm gets the media to spin
it.  People look at the headlines and say, "Oh, Obama has changed his
mind and is now for getting out of Iraq, as 61% of Americans are."  But
in fact his position hasn't changed from what he said when he last held
a PR-style town meeting in C-U.  Far from getting out of Iraq -- lock,
stock and mercenaries -- he thinks that the US must retain control of
the region with its forces and those of others, e.g., an Iraqi
government that will do what we want.

That's what he calls a "realistic" strategy.  We have to find Iraqis
"to form a viable government that can effectively run and secure Iraq"
-- primarily, secure control of the oil for the US. US Middle east
policy will continue to be what it's been for generations -- control ME
energy resources, now under the cover of the "war on terror."  He says
that the US army in Iraq should be redeployed to Afghanistan!

Like his odious views on Vietnam, which Street describes, Obama's
concern about current US policy in Iraq is that it's draining popular
support for us imperial actions -- what he calls "hurting American
[popular] support for international engagement" and "damaging public
trust in the government"!  So his solution is, not surprisingly, a
matter of PR.

"Obama said the withdrawal of American combat troops could be coupled
with a stepped-up effort to train Iraqi troops, with more
special-operations units working as advisers with Iraqi forces."  That
was both Kennedy's and Nixon's (and Kissinger's) policy in Vietnam.

"We know [Iran and Syria] countries want us to fail, and we should
remain steadfast in our opposition to their support of terrorism and
Iran's nuclear ambitions," Obama said.  He has not retracted his
position on Iran, which allies him with the right wing of the Bush
administration: "surgical missile strikes" on Iran may become necessary,
because "having a radical Muslim theocracy in possession of nuclear
weapons is worse" than "launching some missile strikes into Iran," as he
told the Chicago Tribune during his campaign.

"Out now," seems to me to remains the appropriate demand to the Bush
administration and their Democratic enablers.  Obama clearly doesn't
support that. But more and more Americans do.  --CGE