[Peace-discuss] Street on Obama on the war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 21 12:11:06 CST 2006

The text of the speech doesn't seem to have been posted yet, but the
Trib headline unspins the article a bit: "Obama urges gradual withdrawal
from Iraq."  In fact, he doesn't propose withdrawal at all in the sense
of giving up control of Iraq and its resources, but "redeployment" that
might begin in "four to six months."

Obama doesn't doubt that "it remains possible to salvage an acceptable
outcome" -- acceptable in terms of traditional US policy.  He actually
wants to *increase* the number of Special Forces troops: otherwise Iraq
could become "another Afghanistan or a staging area" for attacks on Israel.

The Sun-Times' article makes clear that Obama did *not* call for
"bringing the troops home, instead saying some would be redeployed to
northern Iraq, others to other parts of the Mideast and still others to
Afghanistan."

"Obama conceded 'there's going to be overlap' in the proposals being
advanced."  That is, the problem is finding a form of words that will
sell the common war policy of Republicans and Democrats to an American
public that's turned against it.

Obama's repackaging the snake-oil because the present labels aren't
working, as he says: "'cut and run,' 'stay the course' -- the American
people have determined that all these phrases have become meaningless in
the face of a conflict that grows more deadly and chaotic with each
passing day -- a conflict that has only increased the terrorist threat
it was supposed to help contain."

That is, he wants to make the real popular demand to get out
"meaningless."  That way we can continue the policy under the cover of
responding to the "increased threat of terrorism." --CGE