[Peace-discuss] Street on Obama on the war

Chas. 'Mark' Bee c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 21 12:40:07 CST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at uiuc.edu>
To: "Chas. 'Mark' Bee" <c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu>
Cc: "Peace Discuss" <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 12:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Street on Obama on the war

> The text of the speech doesn't seem to have been posted yet, but the Trib
> headline unspins the article a bit: "Obama urges gradual withdrawal from
> Iraq."  In fact, he doesn't propose withdrawal at all in the sense of giving
> up control of Iraq and its resources

  Cite?

, but "redeployment" that
> might begin in "four to six months."
>
> Obama doesn't doubt that "it remains possible to salvage an acceptable
> outcome" -- acceptable in terms of traditional US policy.  He actually wants
> to *increase* the number of Special Forces troops: otherwise Iraq could
> become "another Afghanistan or a staging area" for attacks on Israel.
>
> The Sun-Times' article

  Uh, what Sun-Times article?

 makes clear that Obama did *not* call for
> "bringing the troops home, instead saying some would be redeployed to
> northern Iraq, others to other parts of the Mideast and still others to
> Afghanistan."
>
> "Obama conceded 'there's going to be overlap' in the proposals being
> advanced."  That is, the problem is finding a form of words that will sell
> the common war policy of Republicans and Democrats

  Cite?

 to an American
> public that's turned against it.
>
> Obama's repackaging the snake-oil because the present labels aren't working,
> as he says: "'cut and run,' 'stay the course' -- the American people have
> determined that all these phrases have become meaningless in the face of a
> conflict that grows more deadly and chaotic with each passing day -- a
> conflict that has only increased the terrorist threat it was supposed to help
> contain."
>
> That is, he wants to make the real popular demand to get out "meaningless."

  Cite?

 That way we can continue the policy under the cover of
> responding to the "increased threat of terrorism." --CGE

  Now you need a lot more cites.  Instead of showing that you are correct in
your earlier descriptions, you appear to be digging yourself in deeper,
apparently using the excuse that the positions you assign to Obama aren't
available yet (in which case, one wonders how you arrived at your conclusions).

  You still need quotes of him saying that he thinks the US should retain
control of the region and its oil, as you claimed in your previous response.
Then you can back up your latest overblown characterizations above, if you can.