[Peace-discuss] Naomi Jakobsson

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 12:41:31 CDT 2006

OK, I realize this may be a can of worms.

For years I've heard Naomi Jakobsson described on the
one hand as a progressive, and on the other hand as an
unresponsive representative on a number of issues.  So
now that it's campaign time again, I'm sort of
collecting stories from activists in the area about
their experiences with her.

I know she voted against HB 407, the Medical Cannabis
Act, for example, one of only two democrats who
opposed the bill.

And a candidate guide I recently picked up says she
“supports mandatory life sentences for third-time
violent felons”!!!  As far as I know she doesn't have
a website we can check, but her staff seemed surprised
when I emailed her on this.

Labor unions have had various disappointments with her
when they ask for help, I seem to recall.

She also reportedly supported overturning obviously
legitimate petition signatures for third-party
candidates, and had staff automatically support
frivolous objections.

On the other hand, I often see her described as
"opposing the war", or "supporting increased access to
health care", and so on.

What do others think of her?

Has she said how she’d vote on the impeachment
resolution at least?

Ricky