[Peace-discuss] *Dixie* sounds racist to me (wikipedia)

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at insightbb.com
Thu Oct 12 13:56:49 CDT 2006

On Oct 12, 2006, at 10:27 AM, Robert Dunn wrote:
>  By the way, Dixie is not a racist song.

Dixie", also known as "I Wish I Was in Dixie", "Dixie's Land", and by
other titles, is a popular American song. It is one of the most
distinctively American musical products of the 19th century,[1] and
probably the best-known song to have come out of blackface
minstrelsy.[2] Although not a folk song at its creation, "Dixie" has
since entered the American folk vernacular. The song likely cemented
the word "Dixie" in the American vocabulary as a synonym for the
Southern United States.

The song originated in the blackface minstrel show of the 1850s and
quickly grew famous across the United States. Its lyrics, written in a
racist, exaggerated version of African American English Vernacular,
tell the story of a freed black slave pining for the plantation of his
birth. During the American Civil War, "Dixie" was adopted as a de facto
anthem of the Confederacy.