[Peace-discuss] Mirrors (and smoke)

Chuck Minne mincam2 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 23 15:29:15 CDT 2006

Well, I think these ideas are laudable, but IMO way too little, way too late. I think the only thing that will prevent a global warming disaster is a new technology, for I think the snowball (some oxymoron, huh?) has already too much momentum for known methods to stop it; and I have not a clue at to what the new technology would be. And although I think the odds are against finding a new technology, I think there is some hope. And I wonder if it will be a world war, or just anarchy to the nth degree. I suspect the latter, but I think I will be dead for a few years before it happens.

  I think global warming poses the greatest challenge to peace imaginable, but the problem is that its not imaginable to most. Its like the water shortage in western Kansas, everyone wants to ignore it because it is so explosive. Like what really happened on 9/11 for that matter.

Bob Illyes <illyes at uiuc.edu> wrote:
That said, there is much we can do to prevent even more damage and
to eventually start bringing the temperature down- passive solar
houses, improved public transport, 100 mpg cars (this is not fiction,
we know how to do this), elimination of fossil fuels in favor of
bio-diesel, replanting forests, etc. But the most important thing
we can do is figure out a way to work around the permanent members
of the UN Security Council, so that when those members violate
international law there is an effective method to sanction them.
Otherwise, world war is a given.

Before you call 9/11 conspiracy nuts crazy, explain what happened to 7 World Trade Center (WTC7) and how it was accomplished. (Never heard of WTC7 before, have you? – that’s not surprising, it’s the camel in the tent that everybody ignores.)