[Peace-discuss] thanks a lot

Lisa Chason chason at shout.net
Tue Sep 5 07:21:56 CDT 2006

LARRY KING: Are we better off with Saddam gone?

BILL MAHER: We are not better off. We were never better off because Saddam
was actually a bulwark against terrorism. He would never have allowed al
Qaeda in Iraq. And I know people say oh, yes, there was al Qaeda. Yes, there
was a few al Qaeda in the northern part of the country, which he did not
control.

KING: He didn't like bin Laden, right?

MAHER: He hated bin Laden. So the world certainly is not better off without
Saddam. And I don't know if even Iraq is better off without Saddam.

You ask the people in Iraq now. Because you know, we're running out of
things that Saddam did that we don't do like torture, rape. About the only
one left is mass graves. So in a lot of ways we are Saddam except for one
thing, he at least had control of his country.