[Peace-discuss] Gill on lebanese war

Chas. 'Mark' Bee c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 7 12:44:57 CDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karen Medina" <kmedina at uiuc.edu>
To: "Peace Discuss" <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 11:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Gill on lebanese war

>> the Israeli response has been woefully excessive. - David Gill
>
> Dr. Gill's response brings up a question in my mind. How do we get
> politicians to make the stronger statements? At some point, they all are
> afraid of offending people. But the good ones entered politics because they
> had strong feelings.

  That's a great question, especially following on Carl's transparent
treachery.  Politicians who care will make the statements that will get them
into office where they can make the changes needed.  The stronger the feelings,
the more careful the PR management.  In America, in order to make your way to
the floor, a majority of people have to believe you feel as they do.  Two
months out from an important national election is not exactly the ideal time to
make headlines just to make oneself feel good - a fact which several in the
local activist community continue to conveniently ignore, year after year and
election after election.

  In short, the way to enable these folks to make the strong statements needed
is to make it safe for them to do so.  Getting publicly castigated for a simple
and trivial choice of words right before an election doesn't exactly say to
them, "we've got your back."

  Let's take a moment to be honest about what we just witnessed.  Carl didn't
ask Dr. Gill for a just-between-us assessment - he specifically asked him for a
statement to be disseminated publicly before an election.  Then he publicly
alligatored Dr. Gill in the anticipated forum for complying, complaining he
hadn't taken enough risk - a filthy dirty trick on Carl's part.  I doubt that's
the kind of home base support that will make it easier to make the tough stands
for peace.

  I think Dr. Gill will be much better served by ignoring Carl's offers as a
go-between in the future, and communicating with AWARE directly - that is, if
he still thinks there's any real support to be had here at all.  If there is,
you should probably let him know pretty quick.