[Peace-discuss] Gill on lebanese war

Chas. 'Mark' Bee c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 8 09:32:46 CDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "karen medina" <kmedina at uiuc.edu>
Cc: "Peace Discuss" <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 9:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Gill on lebanese war

> ouroboros rex wrote:
>>  And please, let's not waste our time with Fox News cites.  Do you have the
>> text of the letter?  The Fox article seems not to.
>
> 'Senate Democrats press Iraqi PM on Israel remarks
> 'In a letter to al-Maliki, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada,
> Democratic Whip Dick Durbin of Illinois and Sen. Charles Schumer of New York
> called the Iraqi leader's comments troubling.
> '"Your failure to condemn Hezbollah's aggression and recognize Israel's right
> to defend itself raise serious questions about whether Iraq under your
> leadership can play a constructive role in resolving the current crisis and
> bringing stability to the Middle East," the letter said.'
> - CNN, July 25, 2006
>
> The beginning of the letter:
> 'Dear Speaker Hastert:
> 'We are writing to object to Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki’s
> planned address to Congress this Wednesday. In the wake of comments made by
> Mr. Maliki and other members of the Iraqi leadership denouncing Israel, it is
> clear that their foreign policy goals are at odds with those of the United
> States. The Speaker’s podium reflects our nation’s values. We the Members of
> the House, under your leadership, decide who receives that honor, and the
> list should not include anyone whose interests conflict with the United
> States.'
>
> The rest of the text is available here:
> http://www.house.gov/delauro/press/2006/July/maliki_address_7_25_06.html

  Yes, and while still failing to show that support for the Israeli assault -
as stated by Carl -  was the question, you also left out:

"But our concerns go beyond these statements. In recent months there have been
extensive reports indicating that Maliki and many in the Iraqi leadership are
increasingly influenced by the government in Iran. Further, they have expressed
support of terrorist organizations such as Hamas and Hezbollah, the latter of
which was responsible for the death of 241 United States Marines in Beirut. The
House should not allow an address from any world leader who has taken such
action."

  In short, it looks like Carl's statement was simply another propaganda
fabrication, carefully worded so as to intentionally deny the balanced approach
taken by Democrats of conscience who dared to interfere with the Repubs' puppet
government lovefest (though of course Carl impugned the entire party instead) -
and typical of the half-truths stated by Carl over the years against the only
party capable of retaining Roe V. Wade.