[Peace-discuss] Transparency Act passes!!!!

Chuck Minne mincam2 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 11 11:12:06 CDT 2006

D o w n s i z e r - D i s p a t c h
We had to share this news immediately . . .

On September 5th we launched a campaign for the Federal Funding
Accountability and Transparency Act. This bill requires the government
to create a searchable, online database of "who, how much, and why," for
everyone who receives more than $25,000 from the federal government.

This bill would make it possible to know, for the first time, who is
feeding at the federal trough. Having this database would be a major
step forward in exposing government corruption, special favors,
corporate welfare, and waste.

It's exactly the kind of thing people say Congress would never pass,
because it threatens Congressional power. We hear it all the time about
"Read the Bills," "Write the Laws," and our proposed "One Subject at a
Time Act." Nearly everyone likes these proposals, but many are certain
they could never pass.

The people who say that are just plain wrong, and the fate of the
Transparency Act proves it.

* The Senate passed this legislation Thursday night, by unanimous
consent, 100 to NOTHING!
* House and Senate leaders have already agreed to common language for
the bill.
* The final version is expected to steamroll through both Houses.

DC Downsizers helped make this happen. Your calls and messages helped
force Congress to take this step. Congress did this because it was too
embarrassing for them not to do it.

It is important to note that the level of pressure it took to accomplish
this was nowhere near the level we aim to achieve to pass "Read the
Bills," "Write the Laws," and the "One Subject at a Time Act." It did
not require relentless, inescapable, mind-numbing pressure to pass the
Transparency Act. It may not take that much pressure to pass the
Downsize DC Agenda either, but we will keep going until we've reached
whatever amount of pressure it will take.

The point is this: Congress can be forced to submit to common sense
reform. It isn't a matter of IF we will pass RTBA and the other bills,
but WHEN. So take heart, and chip into the effort. This can work, and it
will work if YOU make it work.

Congratulations on a big success. And thank you for being a DC Downsizer.

Perry Willis
Communications Director
DownsizeDC.org, Inc.

D o w n s i z e r - D i s p a t c h
is the official email list of DownsizeDC.org, Inc.
<http://www.DownsizeDC.org> & Downsize DC Foundation
<http://www.DownsizeDC.com>

CONTRIBUTE <http://www.downsizedc.org/contribute.shtml> to the
Electronic Lobbyist project

non-profit educational organization promoting the ideas of individual
liberty, personal responsibility, free markets, and small government.

You are encouraged to forward this message to friends and business
associates, and permission is hereby granted to reproduce any items
herein as long as attribution is provided for articles and the
subscription instructions above are included.

Before you call 9/11 conspiracy nuts crazy, explain what happened to 7 World Trade Center (WTC7) and how it was accomplished. (Never heard of WTC7 before, have you? – that’s not surprising, it’s the camel in the tent that everybody ignores.)