[Peace-discuss] Who are we defending in Afghanistan?

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 13 17:08:10 CDT 2006

Indeed, things are deteriorating all the way around in Afghanistan these days.
Here's a small window into what's really happening on the ground.

Excerpts from a BBC story (link below):

Captain Leo Docherty was so unhappy with operations in Helmand province he quit
the British Army last month.

The campaign was "a textbook case of how to screw up a counter-insurgency" the
ex-aide de camp to the commander of the UK taskforce told the Sunday Times.

Having a big old fight is pointless and just making things worse," the former
Scots Guardsman was quoted as saying. Now the ground has been lost and all we're
doing in places like Sangin is surviving

He said: "All those people whose homes have been destroyed and sons killed are
going to turn against the British.  "It's a pretty clear equation - if people
are losing homes and poppy fields, they will go and fight. I certainly would."

Capt Docherty described the campaign as "grotesquely clumsy" and said the
British were no different to US forces by bombing and strafing villages.

The British threw away the opportunity to win over locals by failing to carry
out development work because of a lack of support, Capt Docherty added.

"Now the ground has been lost and all we're doing in places like Sangin is
surviving. It's completely barking mad."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5332570.stm