[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] minutes of 9/24/06 AWARE meeting

Chas. 'Mark' Bee c-bee1 at itg.uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 27 12:18:10 CDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at uiuc.edu>
To: "Peace Discuss" <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 4:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] minutes of 9/24/06 AWARE meeting

> Your reports from your fantasy land

  "You're making it all up!"

 are always at least clinically
> interesting, Mark,

  "You're sick!"

> but usually confusing.

  "I don't get it!"

  I would have thought that if
> you were concerned with the work of AWARE -- i.e., if you wanted to reverse
> the government's murderous and racist policies -- we'd see you at a meeting
> or demonstration.

  "You're a disinterested outsider!"

> The "lament of someone who didn't get involved when they had the chance"?
> Are you asking what I did in the war (Vietnam or Iraq)?

  "I refuse to read in context!"

>  Is that relevant?

  "Bow to my straw man!"

> "Conflating various anti-war folks' opinions with wartime agressors"? Do I
> espy through the inventive spelling and grammar a critique of something I
> wrote?

  "You can't even spell!"

  Perhaps "Darfur Smokescreen" or "A Fragile State,
> recently posted here?

  "I can't even punctuate!"  (I just threw this one in to show why more
effective email activists don't resort to spelling lames.)

  Maybe it would be interesting to hear what your
> actual objections are.

  "I'm sticking my fingers in my ears, see!"

> And amidst your usual insults and oft-proclaimed passion for honesty, your
> question about evidence shows you haven't even read the correspondence posted
> to this list about the AWARE panels.

  "You don't know what you're talking about!"

  No, Carl, I understand your inner need to marginalize my criticism with any
fallacy you can sell, but I've been watching you whine insults from the
sidelines about this project for almost two weeks, then throw a tantrum and
refuse to participate - you actually ran off one active participant who'd been
working on this in good faith, as you are wont to do.

  What you need to understand, Carl, is that when I call you on your bullying,
my feedback from the local social justice community runs about 3 to 1 positive,
both on email and face to face.  In other words, the buttons you are trying to
press (I'm lying, crazy, an outsider, can't communicate, not paying attention,
etc.) are out of order.  That might help you avoid these embarrassing rote
recitations in the future.

> See you at the demo, Mark. --CGE

  My handicapped placard says probably not.  I do most of my 'activism'
(passactivism?) playing whack-a-mole on right wing astroturfers on worldwide
Usenet forums, about an hour a day, and I doubt signs like 'US OUT, UN IN'
would be found to possess the desired level of absolutism.  However, I may stop
by - my mom and sister are now convinced WEFT is associated with Main Event
based on some flyer they were handed but forgot to save ("No wonder he's so
adamant about this stuff!", sez sis), and while I assume that's due to
misreading a show blurb, as a member of PR I'd kinda like one of those.