[Peace-discuss] Coalition Against Coke Contracts asks you to make a phone call

laserb at shout.net laserb at shout.net
Wed Apr 4 18:21:00 CDT 2007

Over the past few months faculty, staff and community members have been
busy meeting and corresponding with the Chancellor and the chair of the
Chancellor's Licensing Advisory Committee (LAC) about the university's
exclusive contract with the company. After much stalling, the Chancellor's
office has finally expressed the strong possibility of moving towards
non-exclusive beverage contracts that will provide a choice of beverages
on campus. Additionally, LAC has started the process of setting up an
ethical purchasing code of conduct that will provide guidelines for future
contracts. Please consult http://caccuc.blogspot.com for the Coalition's
correspondence with the Chancellor's office.

Coalition Against Coke Contracts has made significant progress, but there
is still more work that needs to be done. Your support is still needed to
get UIUC to publically state that it will remove Coca-Cola from the campus
until the company 'cleans-up' its unethical practices. We request you to
participate in making a phone call this week to move us towards this goal.

This week Coalition Against Coke Contracts is making a call to Action:
Remind the Chancellor—UIUC doesn't want Coke!

During business hours this week, please call the office of Chancellor
Richard Herman (217-333-6290) to remind him that the UIUC community does
not want Coke on campus until it 'cleans-up' its act in India. The
following short-text might help:

-Introduce yourself as student/staff/faculty/community member.

-"I am calling to express my concerns over the continued silence of the
Chancellor's office concerning the University's plans for any future
business relationship with Coca-Cola. The company is responsible for
environmental degradation and unsafe products in India, not to mention
human and labor rights violations in other parts of the world . I urge the
University of Illinois administration to take an ethical stand on this issue
and join the campus community that says NO to Coke and any other
corporations that put profits over sustainability and safety. I further urge
you to make a public statement that Coca-Cola will not be allowed on
campus as soon as possible.

-After calling, please email cokeactiongroup at riseup.net to let us know how
many calls were made.

Useful resources and updates are located at: http://www.indiaresource.org/

In addition to calling the Chancellor's office, one of the best ways to
get involved is to attend our weekly meetings. Every Wednesday, we hold a
meeting at 7:30pm in Room 110, Lincoln Hall . Also, meetings and action
updates are posted on our blog at http://caccuc.blogspot.com. All are
welcome.

In Solidarity
Lori Serb