[Peace-discuss] casual peace-speaker wanted!

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 10 00:51:09 CDT 2007

Ms. Goodwine--

Congratulations on the formation of your anti-war/humanitarian rights
group at Centennial.  Such things are particularly important for US
citizens at this time -- especially for your contemporaries who are
voting for the first time, and perhaps considering entering the military.

I would be happy to talk to your group this Thursday (4/12) 7:45-8:10am.
  I recently gave a similar talk to a group at Uni High, arranged by
Shara Ebenshade, a senior at Uni and member of AWARE.  (You can contact
her at <esbenshd at uni.uiuc.edu>.)

In the brief time available, I'd like to talk about the obstacles to
peace right now.  All reasonable people regard peace as desirable, but
it's necessary to have an an accurate understanding of what's actually
going on in the world, or such good will becomes irrelevant.

I've been a member of AWARE since it was founded, shortly after 9-11,
but I'd be speaking as an individual rather than as a representative of
AWARE, which is an open and democratic group that your Peaceful People
are welcome to join.

I'll attach a brief note about me; I can be reached at 359.9466.

	Regards,
	Carl Estabrook

[Estabrook, Carl G.  AB, AM, and PhD from Harvard University in history
and religion. Taught at Notre Dame, Brown, Rochester, and in three
departments at UIUC (history, religious studies, sociology).  Retired as
visiting professor at UIUC in 2006. Writer on politics, theology, and
theatre.  Actor in productions in Boston and C-U.  Host of radio
programs on politics and the arts on WEFT-Champaign.  Green party
candidate for Congress in Illinois' 15th CD in 2002.]