[Peace-discuss] The likely suspects

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 12 17:08:41 CDT 2007

I think we all know that most crimes (at least the sort of crimes
that land one in jail) are committed by young men. So it is
not surprising that the police view young men with suspicion,
although it enraged me when I was young, and rightly so, since very
few young men actually commit crimes. This is sort-of like picking
on Moslems because they are likelier to be Moslem terrorists. It
is really offensive, because most are absolutely law-abiding.
Profiling is routinely practiced by insurance companies, and there
seems to be little we can do about that, but the police are public
servants, and can be held to a higher standard.

Bob