[Peace-discuss] RE: [Imc] Intentions

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 15 15:59:04 CDT 2007

Carl,
UC IMC working groups make their own editorial decisions. The IMC itself
rarely has a position on anything as a group. This is derived from the
publishing model we use. Posts remain the responsibility of the author,
although we (that is any particular working group, depending in whether
or not it's web, print, radio, etc) do have a variety of policies, each
specific to the media in question and shaped to embody the Indymedia
Principles of Unity, modified of course by our own precedents and
decision making process in the case of each working group.

That is why when you see endorsements from the IMC, they are typically
phrased as the "UC IMC Steering Group". Talk about getting irritated
about other people's editing, it's always a bit irritating when those
pressed fro space on a flyer sometimes omit the whole pharse and put us
down as just "UC IMC". But in between our GMMs, this is the only way
that we feel comforatble handling things like event endorsements, etc,
since we don't want to speak from anyone not present when the decision
was made. And as a 501c3, you'll never see us, as an 501c3 organization
that is, do anything to violate the political restrictions that come
with that status. Of course, we provide media to the progressive
community, but the authors retain ownership. Thus people can use UC IMC
to discuss politics, just as many publications that are projects of
non-profit organizations do on all sides of the political spectrum. The
editorial process thus needs to remain separate from the foundation
process, which is there to support this media as part of its mission and
charter.

Since the UC IMC membership meets as a committee of the whole, so to
speak, only twice a year, we tend to be very cautious about speaking for
the IMC as a whole. Working groups speak, and make editorial decisions,
primarily for themselves.

Of course, anyone can bring a concern about editing, like anything else,
to the Steering group. The Steering group has only very rarely (other
than dealing with the abusive and troll stuff that we usually dispose of
expeditiously these days, before most of that was delegated to IMC-web)
gotten itself involved in editorial decisions. Usually, unless everyone
involved happened to be present, referred those things back to the
working group involved to attempt a resolution. Typically, there has to
be some breakdown in that process for things to move back to Steering.

So, in short, The Public i is a publication under the editorial control
of the UC IMC Print group. M

My description may not be seen by other UC IMCistas exactly as I've
described it, either.

Heck, on a different day, I'd describe it differently, but that is a
rough outline of the conceptual framework we operate under..

Ah, the joys and perils of anarchism and Indymedia as an organizing model!
Mike Lehman