[Peace-discuss] We need to mobilize voters next time

Bill Strutz bill.strutz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 15:44:32 CDT 2007

    I think it's correct that we can't interpret sentiment from such a low
percentage of voter turnout.  All we know is that these are the people who
actually voted.  To a candidate, a person who doesn't vote doesn't count.

    But notice that (with such low turnout) there is a tremendous potential
swing. 1000 more votes for each of the losing candidates would have gotten
them all elected.  Next time, whoever gets out the vote, will win!  I sure
hope that's us!

    Someone commented that "the opposition" is too fond of watching TV to
get out on the streets.   I think that's true, especially when I remember
how COLD it was during some of the demonstrations.  They want to be in front
of the TV, and we want to be ON TV, but they did get enough people to the
polls on election day to beat the progressive candidates.

     I think we need to get blacks and latinos to vote.  Someone (Durl?)
recently remarked that they are busy fighting more immediate battles -- and
sometimes it's a victory just to get through another day.  But if they had
registered and voted for candidates who favor a citizens' review board, they
would have won a real victory for themselves.  Ditto for the issues in the
school board elections.  What can we do to boost voter turnout?

-- Bill