[Peace-discuss] More on election

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 19 00:27:17 CDT 2007

I don't think we can conclude that the well over 80% of our
fellow-citizens who didn't vote (actually more, when we add those
eligible to vote but unregistered) were too lazy or stupid to do so.
Instead, they concluded, at some level of reflection, that it didn't
matter very much.  And I'm not sure they're wrong.  In our strongly
business-run society, the difference made by elections is damped down to
very little.  (In the annual township meeting we saw a recent example of
how the more robust democratic forms of the 19th century have atrophied.)

The difference, say, between "progressive" Urbana and "conservative"
Champaign strikes me as an example of what Freud called "the narcissism
of small differences" (e.g. -- my wife, long resident in Boston, cannot
admit any virtue in the New York Yankees).  The actual political results
brought about by the self-proclaimed liberals of the Urbana council
differ little from those in the neighboring city: e.g., there is still
no police review board, and the council has apparently given up the
possibility that any can be effective; similarly, they have acquiesced
to Wal-Mart and given up any insistence on civil rights (speech,
assembly) to mall developers.  The difference between the councils is
that Champaign does this sort of thing willingly; Urbana does, too, but
say they aren't.

Real democracy -- the sort of thing we see breaking through in many
places in the global South today -- is thoroughly constrained in the US,
from the national parties to local elections.  That's hardly surprising
-- American elites had more than an uninterrupted century to perfect the
process, and as a result we have the most sophisticated forms of
political and social control found anywhere in the world (altho' we do
have to imprison more of our fellow-citizens than any other country).
So much so that it makes little difference if we go to the polls.

Of course in practice, it's always better to vote for the lesser evil,
and we occasionally get an actually attractive candidate to vote for
(more often locally than nationally).  But, in the midst of the greatest
surge of opposition to a war in the better part of a century, we'll
probably get to choose either Clinton-Obama or Giuliani-Romney (or
McCain) next year.  Many will ask why bother. --CGE