[Peace-discuss] Mother's Day "peace wants a piece of the pie" National Action Day

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 20 01:43:19 CDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 11:19:21PM -0500, Robert Naiman  wrote:
> Bob Naiman believes in Mother's Day.
>
> Bob Naiman believes that you should keep promises that you make to your
> mother.
>
> Bob Naiman promised his mother, after he pied the head of the
> International Monetary Fund, that it was a "one-off," as the British
> say, and that he would not do that again.
>
> Bob Naiman has kept his promise.
>
> Bob Naiman intends to continue doing so.
>

> On 4/19/07, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> >I'm down with this -- if and only if we take advantage of Bob Naiman's
> >experience with pie as a political statement.
> >
> >Bob believes that political figures should receive their just desserts...
> >

> >Karen Medina wrote:
> >> A friend just told me about this:
> >>
> >> On May 11th (the Friday before Mother's Day), gather members of your
> >> community to take pies to your local Congressional offices, letting
> >> your members of Congress know that "Peace wants a Piece of the Pie,"
> >> (i.e., the federal budget). Last year several members of congress
> >> singed on to support the Department of Peace legislation after our
> >> Peace of Pie Action, so we know it can be a very effective action.
> >>
> >> Third Annual Mother's Day National Action Day On Behalf of Mothers
> >> Everywhere "Peace wants a piece of the pie" May 11th, 2007
> >> http://www.thepeacealliance.org/content/view/297/36/

I like it.

A bit of one of the recent Kurt Vonnegut obits mentioned that
he had once told a group of anti-war protesting students
that their protests were about as effective as banana cream pies.

So maybe we can demonstrate just how effective a pie can be
at sweetening hearts.  ("Here, have a piece of peace pie!")
It would be fun to try this on Tim Johnson some time.

(Um, the above might be ambiguous.  I don't mean hurled,
I do mean offered.)