[Peace-discuss] Obama on Our Violent Culture

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 10:06:37 CDT 2007

At 06:37 AM 4/22/2007, Chuck Minne wrote:

>Obama on Our Violent Culture
>By Ruth Conniff
>April 18, 2007
>
>It was supposed to be a raucous event. Barack Obama's
>Wisconsin campaign kick-off at a sold-out theater in
>downtown Milwaukee started with a line of people
>wrapped around the block. Milwaukee mayor Tom Barrett,
>who endorsed Obama for President, gave the
>introduction. But the balloons, music, and
>crowd-pleasing speeches were cancelled. Instead, there
>was a moment of silence, then somber reflection on the
>shootings of 32 Virginia Tech students just hours
>before. Obama threw away his prepared stump speech,
>and instead spoke about the day's tragic events.
>"Please, have a seat," he told the cheering crowd.
>
>He explained his reasons for changing the tone of the
>event. Then he quoted Bobby Kennedy's famous speech
>after Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination, about
>how, with one act of violence, "the whole nation is
>degraded." America, Kennedy said, seems to tolerate
>violence, whether it is "civilian slaughter in far-off
>lands," our increasingly coarse entertainment culture,
>or the ready access to guns.
>
>"That was written in 1968--almost 40 years ago," Obama
>said of Kennedy's remarks. "We haven't made much
>progress."
>
>Within hours of the shooting at Virginia Tech, Obama
>threw away his stump speech and talked about the tragic events.
>Monday's massacre, the biggest mass shooting in
>American history,

Yet another illustration of how myopic our white American view of history
is, and how utterly unconscious of it we are.  This phrase, "the biggest
mass shooting in American history", has already become an integral and
thoroughly accepted part of the mainstream public discourse.  A friend of
mine - a person of color, naturally - has suggested at least one instance
that was roughly ten times worse.  See if you can guess what event he was
thinking of.  From Wikipedia:

On <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_29>December 29,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1890>1890, five hundred troops of the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._7th_Cavalry_Regiment>U.S. 7th Cavalry,
supported by four <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotchkiss_gun>Hotchkiss
guns (a lightweight <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery>artillery piece
capable of rapid fire), surrounded an encampment of Miniconjou Sioux
(<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakota_people>Lakota) and Hunkpapa Sioux
(Lakota)  with orders to escort them to the railroad for transport to
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha%2C_Nebraska>Omaha, Nebraska. The
commander of the 7th had been ordered to disarm the Lakota before
proceeding and placed his men in too close proximity to the Lakota,
alarming them. Shooting broke out near the end of the disarmament, and
accounts differ regarding who fired first and why.

By the time it was over, 25 troopers and 300 Lakota Sioux lay dead,
including men, women, and children.  Many of the dead soldiers are believed
to have been the victims of
"<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendly_fire>friendly fire" as the shooting
took place at point blank range in chaotic conditions, and most of the
Lakota had previously been unarmed.  Around 150 Lakota are believed to have
fled the chaos, of which many likely died from
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia>exposure.