[Peace-discuss] Obama on Our Violent Culture

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 22 10:57:28 CDT 2007

Thank you, John.

I think even a lot of 'progressives' don't know much
about Wounded Knee, even less the incredible
confrontation there almost a hundred years later (I
like Mary Crow Dog's account in Lakota Woman).

These are things many of assume our government would
never do - or has stopped doing.  Personally, I guess
I'll never forget the shock, horror, shame - and
naivete - I felt during the first Gulf War when I
heard about our troops burying people alive in the
sands, shooting unarmed Iraqis trying to surrender,
the "Turkey Shoot", etc.  And I for one already knew
US troops (incl. police) had done things like this in
the past, as recently as Vietnam and Kent State.  I
guess I just thought - and didn't even realize that I
had thought - that they didn't do it any more.

One note, though.  I told a very good friend named
John Conlon about my reaction, my realization that I
assumed this naive thing, and my shock at realizing
simultaneously that I held this belief and how stupid
it was.  His response was this:

"I think we are all incredibly naive, compared to the
people who run this country."

I have come to see his remark as a valuable gift to
me.  I pass it along now to anyone who can use it.
Ricky

[...]

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._7th_Cavalry_Regiment>U.S.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotchkiss_gun>Hotchkiss