[Peace-discuss] Fascist America, in 10 easy steps

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 25 07:37:22 CDT 2007

In "...many [members of Congress] said that they scarcely had time to
read [the Patriot Act]," the word "scarcely" seems to have the force of
"only just" or "barely" -- i.e., she says many members of Congress read
it, though under the pressure of time.  That's surely false.

The article is, naively or complacently, indulgent toward Congress
members: e.g., they "foolishly" passed the MCA.

But I didn't damn with faint praise: I praised with faint damns.  The
general point, the administration's attack on on civil liberties, is
however both correct and important.  --CGE