[Peace-discuss] Mourning

illyes at uiuc.edu illyes at uiuc.edu
Sat Apr 28 23:49:52 CDT 2007

I think it is appropriate that the flags are at half-staff for the folks who died at Virginia Tech. But if we honor them in this way, how much more we should honor those who die serving America every day in Iraq. My opinion is that flags should be permanently at half-staff during war. Why are they not??? At Virginia Tech, Bush spoke without notes, he spoke well, and he seemed to be genuinely grieving. It makes me think of Zinn's observation to the effect that the first thing we need to understand about the ruling elite in this country is that their interests are not our interests.

Bob