[Peace-discuss] US finding that projects are not being maintained

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 30 18:56:41 CDT 2007

[More proof that we have the wrong people in Iraq trying to "rebuild" it. -karen medina]

I was listening to WILL tv news of some sort (in the background) and they were talking to some military guy who was saying that the US projects that were started in Iraq and turned over to the Iraqis were not being maintained (e.g. the hospitals were not using the oxygenator, etc).

The interviewer was asking if the Iraqis had been involved in the design and implementation of the projects, and the answer was "no" and that the US was putting this down as a "lesson learned". Yikes! They did not know this was a factor??? Where have they been?

And of course, millions of dollars have been lost because of this.

Peace Corps has known for generations that local input and involvement is essential for a project's success.

Sociologists have also been writing about this for years.