[Peace-discuss] Neocons rule Republicans and Democrats

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 13 08:57:40 CDT 2007

"...when it comes to foreign policy, the Democrats and Republicans can
be fairly described as two wings of a single party – the War Party.
Yes, there are exceptions to this dictum – for example, Dennis Kucinich
in the Democratic camp, and Ron Paul in the GOP – and yet the odds
against one or another insurgent antiwar candidate breaking out into the
so-called mainstream are so great that the War Party can continue to
operate even in the face of overwhelming antiwar sentiment on the part
of voters..."

	Antiwar.com
	August 13, 2007
	The Democrats Are Selling Out the Peace Movement
	And much of the peace movement is selling out to the Democrats…
	by Justin Raimondo

I love going over to DailyKos.com – a site for very partisan Democrats –
and reading the passionate antiwar screeds, the outrage at the
escalation of the Iraq conflict in the face of rising opposition, the
often timely and interesting analysis of our disastrous foreign policy
posted by Kossacks with monikers like "antiwarrior" and "Cheneysucks,"
but I have to wonder: how in the name of all that's holy can these
people support any of the Democratic "majors" in the race for the White
House? After all, the leading Democratic candidates for president
support keeping our troops in Iraq – for years, as the New York Times
reports:

"Even as they call for an end to the war and pledge to bring the troops
home, the Democratic presidential candidates are setting out positions
that could leave the United States engaged in Iraq for years.

"John Edwards, the former North Carolina senator, would keep troops in
the region to intervene in an Iraqi genocide and be prepared for
military action if violence spills into other countries. Senator Hillary
Rodham Clinton of New York would leave residual forces to fight
terrorism and to stabilize the Kurdish region in the north. And Senator
Barack Obama of Illinois would leave a military presence of as-yet
unspecified size in Iraq to provide security for American personnel,
fight terrorism and train Iraqis."

So who does that leave us with? Bill Richardson? Dennis Kucinich? Mike
Gravel? There's just one problem with these guys: none of them will get
the Democratic presidential nomination. Which leaves us with the
Janus-faced candidacies of the Axis of Ambiguity.

Well, but isn't this a case of making the perfect the enemy of the good?
After all, Hillary-Obama-Edwards routinely pledge to get our troops out
of Iraq – aren't their hearts in the right places, even if their
programs are lacking in reassuring details?

To begin with, we can't know what's in someone's heart. We can only
evaluate what they say and what they do. Second, the whole point of
leaving Iraq – aside from stopping the killing, the senseless American
sacrifices, and the billions draining out of the Treasury – is to ensure
that we don't get sucked into a conflict beyond that country's borders.
Every day brings new and more alarming claims of Iranian aid to Iraqi
insurgents and militia groups, as well as accusations from the
administration that our troops are being killed with weapons supplied by
Tehran. (Of course, the influx of weapons to the Iraqi insurgents has
nothing to do with those 190,000 weapons we lost track of in Iraq.)

Dick Cheney has been insistently lobbying the president for air strikes
at Quds bases in Iran, and Lord knows Dubya's hardly averse to the idea.
First, however, the administration has to engage in the elaborate kabuki
dance of going the diplomatic route and pulling the rug out from under
the Iranian peace party whenever it looks like negotiations might prove
fruitful. Then they step on the accelerator and get their war propaganda
campaign in high gear, overemphasizing the power and influence of
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad – who really doesn't run Iran's foreign
policy – and conjuring the nightmare of nuclear terrorist attacks on the
U.S. sponsored by Tehran.

When the rhetoric really begins to smoke, they'll spark a shooting war
by overblowing some border incident and framing the war question in
terms of regaining America's "honor." Will we "cut and run"? Or stand
and fight? It's an argument the War Party always wins – until it comes
out that the incident in question was either completely manufactured (as
in the Gulf of Tonkin incident [.pdf] during the Vietnam War era),
provoked by the Americans, or wildly exaggerated.

Unfortunately, at that late date, it's hard if not impossible to do
anything about it: the war has already begun, the orgy of "patriotic"
mindlessness is unleashed, and cries of "we're here, we have to make the
best of it" drown out all else. Stripped of partisan hoo-hah, rhetorical
pandering to the base, and outright demagogy, that is the basic
Democratic position on the war, and the core of Hillary Rodham Clinton's
stance.

The front-running Hillary is the darling of the neocons these days,
partly because of her spat with Obama over what Fred Barnes calls the
"would-you-meet-with-despots" question. Our future commander in chief
answered "firmly and coolly," says the man who coined the phrase "big
government conservatism." "She excels," raves National Review editor
Rich Lowry, who says Clinton "has done more than any other Democrat to
show she's ready to be president." Neocon bellwether David Brooks' paean
to Hillary, the Warrior Goddess, heralds her as "the perfect combination
of experience and change." Even Charles Krauthammer, the neocons'
resident Cato (the Elder), hailed "the grizzled veteran" Hillary in her
alleged victory over "the clueless rookie" Obama in the
talk-with-tyrants spat.

I long ago predicted that the neoconservatives would switch sides in the
partisan divide: having drained the GOP of its vital juices and left it
a dry husk, they are readying themselves for the era of "Bush lite."

Sucking up to Hillary and her court won't be too difficult: the neocons
already have an inside line in her camp in the person of Marshall
Wittmann, the former
Trotskyist-turned-Christian-Coalition-director-turned-McCainiac who is
now Hillary's Rasputin. This ideological chameleon, whose advice to go
hawkish and prove her credentials as a potential commander-in-chief she
appears to be taking, is the archetypal neocon, which is not so much a
doctrine as it is a history. Wittmann's political odyssey from the fever
swamps of Spartacism to the storied heights of Washington's
neoconservative network is an exaggerated version of Hillary's own
hegira, from the far Left of the Democratic Party to the
DLC-Lieberman-Scoop Jackson far Right.

This presents a dilemma for self-styled "progressive" activists involved
in the antiwar movement. On the one hand, many of these otherwise
sincere and quite dedicated opponents of our interventionist foreign
policy are working to end the war, and their efforts are admirable. On
the other hand, they have a partisan bond – and, of course, a domestic
agenda – that often works at cross purposes with their ostensibly
antiwar views. The Huffington Post's resident progressive-in-chief,
David Sirota, has defended the spinelessness of the Democrats – not very
convincingly – on the grounds that "purists" don't understand the
alleged "realities" of Washington politics. However, the more radical
lefties have no strong partisan loyalties – except maybe to the
Communist Party, USA – at least in theory, but in practice these
"radicals" are just interested in building a left satellite of the DNC.
Yet they do have their limits, and these appear to have been reached
with the Democrats' recent rollover on the war funding bill.

The ugly truth of the matter is that the Democrats' capitulation on the
Iraq war funding issue was rationalized by the pork ladled out to
compliant "antiwar" lefties in Congress. Bribery, in short, in the form
of tax dollars handed out to favored interest groups, enabled the party
leadership to whip the "antiwar" faction into line. Pork trumps
principle, every time: that's life in the Imperial City, and it's part
of the reason why this war is dragging on in spite of the fact that it's
wildly unpopular. But there's more to this sad story…

When "blue dog Democrats" who consistently vote for the president's war
funding consistently give the War Party the margin of victory in
Congress, it is laughable that the big question, these days, in antiwar
circles is not how but whether to respond to this blatant betrayal. The
Hillreports:

"Congress's failure to secure a timetable for withdrawing American
troops from Iraq has split antiwar activists on the tactical question of
whether to attack Democrats, who now control Capitol Hill. The split has
also underlined accusations among some activists that MoveOn has
abandoned its credentials as an issue-based advocacy group and now
instead provides cover for Democratic Party leaders."

The issue of MoveOn.org, the left-liberal online voter-mobilization
machine conceived as an adjunct to the Democratic Party's Clintonian
wing and its generally counterproductive role in the antiwar movement,
has been dealt with here, here, and here, so I won't go into elaborate
detail. Suffice to say that, along with some of their allies in the
labor movement, notable the SEIU, they have created a front group known
as Americans Against Escalation, which has been targeting Republican
members of Congress on the war, running television ads in their
districts and carrying out protest actions at their offices.

The anti-escalators wouldn't dream of targeting pro-war Democrats,
however, since that would get in the way of their domestic political
agenda, which is ultimately more important – to them – than the
slaughter of a bunch of foreigners. It would also get in the way of
their sucking up to the Democratic establishment, create obstacles in
their upwardly mobile path to lucrative careers as political appointees,
and pull down their stock on the D.C. cocktail party circuit.

The Hill goes on to note that "some activist groups" accuse MoveOn of
letting Democratic leaders off very lightly, "but MoveOn argues that
burning bridges with Democrats is not an effective strategy. Much
better, the influential organization says, is to work with them to peel
away Republican support for the war and thus force President Bush's hand."

This argument makes zero sense. The problem with congressional efforts
to rein in our war-crazed chief executive is that the Democrats haven't
been able to keep their own troops in line. Is it too much to ask of the
Democratic "leadership" that they use the whip on their recalcitrant
pro-war caucus members? Are the Democrats really depending on the
Republicans to end the war?

"Ultimately, the war ends because there is this cataclysmic showdown
between the Republicans who are getting pinched by the public and the
White House," babbles Tom Matzzie, Washington director for MoveOn. Yet
the partisan attacks launched by the MoveOn-SEUI lash-up are delaying
that showdown by making the war a partisan issue – and setting a new
world record for hypocrisy by giving pro-war Democrats a pass.

Anyone who believes the Democratic party leadership is committed to
getting us out of Iraq, and out of the business of world-saving,
democracy-exporting, neo-colonialist base-building, is living in a dream
world. The party Establishment is in cahoots with the War Party, and not
only on the Iraq issue. The neocons, for their part, are just as
comfortable supporting Democrats as they are Republicans – and, as their
newfound admiration for Hillary demonstrates, this partisan
ambidexterity isn't limited to such special cases as Joe Lieberman.

President Hillary Clinton will inherit a war that she intends to fight
and win, no matter what she says to the Democratic base. And her
"antiwar" cheerleaders at MoveOn and the SEIU will still be "building
bridges" to cushy jobs, choice cuts of pork, and their fair share of
political perks. Then, with sudden swiftness, we'll be hearing about the
progress of labor unions in American-occupied Iraq, and why it's much
better and more "humane" to continue a "residual" presence that will,
like all such presences, grow of its own accord.

The criticisms of the Bush policy by such Democratic foreign policy
mavens as Joe Biden and Ivo Daalder have been based around the argument
that the Iraq war was wrong in its execution, not its conception. There
was insufficient planning, the decision to disband the Iraqi army was a
disaster, etc., etc., all assuming that the Democrats could have done a
better job – and even deserve a chance to "succeed" where the
Republicans failed.

This has been the major charge by the warbots in the GOP, who are now
saying that the "surge" is saving the day and who blame the "defeatist"
Democrats for obstructing the war effort: Republican neocons claim
congressional Democrats, and, indeed, all war critics, don't want
America to succeed in Iraq. The Democrats hasten to disagree, but never
think to ask: what is it that we are supposed to be succeeding at?

The neocon project is all about creating a reliable ally in the region,
a base from which to wage new wars of "liberation" – and ensure American
control over much of the world's dwindling oil supply. What the
Democrats are promising, therefore, is to be more successful at being
imperialists than their incompetent Republican rivals. This is a
distinction without a difference, one that is certainly not worth either
voting for or even passively cheering on in the name of "change." After
all, it could well be a change for the worse.

I know that's hard to imagine, at present, but, then again, it always
is. It is not all that inconceivable that the Democrats will take up
where the Republicans left off. With Iran looming in the background as
the next theater in our perpetual "war on terrorism," all the major
Democratic candidates are outdoing each other in appeasing the Israel
lobby and pledging to confront Tehran.

As the political process becomes more restricted, with draconian limits
on single-issue groups and the primary season front-loaded, the big
contributors, many of them in defense-related fields, and the foreign
lobbyists have a stranglehold over the electoral machinery of both
parties. With the two-party monopoly ensconced in law and custom, when
it comes to foreign policy, the Democrats and Republicans can be fairly
described as two wings of a single party – the War Party.

Yes, there are exceptions to this dictum – for example, Dennis Kucinich
in the Democratic camp, and Ron Paul in the GOP – and yet the odds
against one or another insurgent antiwar candidate breaking out into the
so-called mainstream are so great that the War Party can continue to
operate even in the face of overwhelming antiwar sentiment on the part
of voters. After all, when two pro-war candidates are vying for the role
of commander in chief, are we really giving peace a chance?

Find this article at:
http://www.antiwar.com/justin/?articleid=11437