[Peace-discuss] ANSWER fined $10,000 for promoting Sept. 15 demonstration

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 16 18:02:33 CDT 2007

Anti-war gropu fined $10,000 for promoting their September 15th demonstration
http://answer.pephost.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ANS_homepage

In an unprecedented action, the ANSWER (Act Now to Stop War and End Racism0 Coalition today received citations fining the organization $10,000 for the placement of posters announcing the September 15 March on Washington DC. The fines come after a campaign led by FOX news calling for the DC government to take action against those putting up posters for the September 15 demonstration.

They have told us that we have 72 hours to remove every poster, or the fines will go into effect. Tens of thousands of dollars in additional fines are expected in the coming days. Bush’s Interior Department is threatening similar actions against ANSWER. The September 15 posters are legal and conform to city regulations. We will not allow the government's intimidation tactics to slow our outreach or silence the antiwar movement.