[Peace-discuss] Stan Levy for Mayor of Champaign

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 04:33:33 CDT 2007

At 02:42 AM 8/20/2007, Jenifer Cartwright wrote:

>Avery and Rosales are good folks, but if they couldn't get
>elected/reelected to the City Council, it's highly unlikely they'd be
>elected mayor. (Not sure if we have anyone we'd all support 100% who's
>actually electable, but I do think we need to find and support someone who
>has what most of us want who does have a chance of being elected.)
>
>Yeah, pretty strong bias against gown among the town...But if there's
>someone from either group we can get behind --  someone who can persuade
>enough voters that war is bad for Champaign's economic advancement and
>security...that we need that $$ for schools and (especially) first
>responders right here in Champaign, it might resonate.
>
>Jenifer

That person would be me.  :-)  No connection to gown, retired firefighter,
strong commitment to "progressive" values, etc.  But I've got no money, no
connection to either the local Democrats or the local Republicans, and I
absolutely ABHOR political campaigning.

Personally, I like Patricia Avery and think she would be an excellent
mayor, comparable to Laurel Prussing in Urbana.  I think her failure to get
elected to the City Council recently was not necessarily through any
perceived shortcomings on her part, but through poor campaign strategy this
time around.

John Wason